Health & Safety Policy
This section sets out the different Health and Safety responsibilities of each person working in the business. Each director, manager and supervisor must manage Health and Safety issues within their own area of responsibility.
Rextec UK Limited Managing Director accepts overall responsibility for all operational matters including those regarding health and safety.
Health and Safety is overseen on a day to day basis by the following personnel:-
Rex Young – Managing Director
In meeting the above general statement of policy, Rextec UK Limited requires its directors, managers and employees to acknowledge and accept their individual and collective responsibilities and ensure so far as is reasonably practicable their actions meet, or enhance, this Health and Safety Policy.
Responsibilities in Law
The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act (1974), (HSWA) and subsequent legislation and associated regulations, codes of practice, guidance notes, etc place legal responsibilities upon employers, employees, persons in control of premises or sites, designers, manufacturers, suppliers, installers, self employed persons and the occupiers of buildings.
A breach of those responsibilities is an offence criminally chargeable and ignorance of the relevant legal duties is not an acceptable defence at Law.
It is in the interests of each employer and employee to understand the potential severity of any failure to comply with safety legislation, standards and codes of practice on a corporate and personal level.
Failure to act within the law can lead to fines and / or imprisonment and may also result in disciplinary action by the Company.
Responsibilities of Managing Director
The Managing Director is directly responsible for the operations of the company and for the implementation of this policy throughout its operations. His specific responsibilities are to:
- Ensure adequate resources are made available for effective implementation of this policy
- Ensure employees under their control work in a safe manner and understand their responsibilities contained in this policy.
- Ensure employees, contractors and others as necessary are provided with adequate information, instruction and training to fulfil their responsibilities.
- Ensure effective communication is provided and effectively disseminated on Health and Safety issues to all directors and subsequently to managers and employees
- Provide for routine monitoring and reporting of compliance with statutory and policy requirements by the company.
- Ensure that risk assessments are conducted.
- Set a personal example when visiting site by wearing appropriate protective equipment.
- Actively promote at all levels the company’s commitment to effective health and safety management
- Ensure this Policy is reviewed at least annually and arrange for any changes to be implemented and the Policy document updated as necessary.
Responsibilities of Health and Safety Coordinator
The named person responsible for health and safety is Rex Young.
The health and safety coordinator / representative will undertake and be responsible for:
- Monitoring the implementation of the health and safety policy throughout the company and reviewing its appropriateness by regular safety audits / inspections carried out at various workplaces.
- Investigating accidents and implementing corrective action.
- Reviewing health and safety legislation and implementing any new requirements pertaining to Rextec UK Limited’s undertaking.
- Liaising with managers, employees, sub contractors and specialists as and when appropriate.
- Collating and reporting any accidents reportable under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) 1995.
Responsibilities of Employees
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 states that
“It shall be the duty of every employee while at work –
(A) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work; and
(B) as regards any statutory duty or requirement imposed by his employer of any other person by or under any of the relevant statutory provisions, to cooperate with him so far as is necessary to enable that duty or requirement to be performed or complied with”
In order for all employees to comply with their legal duties, they will undertake and be responsible for:
- Reading and understanding the Rextec UK Limited health and safety policy, and carrying out their work safely and in accordance with its requirements.
- Ensuring that all protective equipment provided under a legal requirement is properly used in relation to any instruction / training given, and in accordance with this health and safety policy.
- Reporting any defects to work equipment immediately to the Managing Director.
- Reporting to the management any incidents which have lead to or might lead to injury or damage.
- Reporting to the health and safety co-ordinator any accidents or near misses, however minor.
- Using the correct tools and equipment for the job in hand and in accordance with training and instructions.
- Co-operating with any investigation, which may be undertaken with the objective of preventing re-occurrence of incidents.